Elliswick LTC Newsletter – April 2019
Welcome to our April Newsletter.
We are very pleased that our new clubhouse extension project is almost complete. The bar is up and running again and the new tea room is as well. We have had many compliments already from members and guests and hope that all will enjoy the additional space and facilities. Just in time for the Grand Opening and the Wimbledon draw on Saturday the 11th May, the annual tournament, and the summer season. We look forward to seeing many members, new and old, supporting our club’s events, such as Men’s Night, Ladies Night, Club Night, Junior Night, Supper Nights, etc. in our extended facilities and newly landscaped grounds. Thanks to the team of people who made the extension happen and thanks to all members for their patience during the building works. If you are unable to attend our club draw, please nominate a proxy by writing to the secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org and copying your proxy.
Also, a very big WELCOME to our 100 new members! The last few places are now being filled, with 100 names left on the waiting list. If you have not yet collected your shoe tags, please do so before the end of May. Everyone on court should be wearing their shoe tag, unless they have been signed in as a guest and paid visitor fees or are taking part in an official coaching session.
We would like to remind you of the next Bank Holiday Tournament is to be held on Monday the 6th May at 1pm at the clubhouse. The event starts at 1pm prompt is open to all adult members of all levels. It is a fun competition with afternoon tea served afterwards. There is only one name up so far! We shall have to cancel the Tournament unless more sign up by Saturday. We really need a minimum of 12 to make it viable. Please do support this competitive, fun, friendly and enjoyable tennis. If you are interested, please email email@example.com.
Polite reminder about Elliswick LTC etiquette: Please respect match players by not disturbing them or walking on their court while a match is being played. We are very lucky with the location of our club, which is located in a quiet, peaceful and friendly area, therefore we would also like to urge you to respect our neighbourhood. Recently we had an incident where a broken (smashed) racket was thrown on to the adjacent neighbour’s garden. Please be mindful of the neighbours, whether by keeping noise levels low or by minimising the balls and other things that may end up on their property.
Reminder to those who have entered the in-house club tournament, please can you play your match by the deadline dates for each round.
- Mixed Doubles – Matches for this group have to be played by 7 May 2019 so players only have another week to play the 5 remaining first round matches.
- Men’s doubles – players have until 14 May 2019 to play the first round matches.
- Men’s singles – First round matches have to be completed by 7 May 2019 so again only a week for the 6 remaining matches to be played.
- Ladies Doubles –This should have been played by 30 April 2019.
- Ladies Singles – This have to be played until 24 May 2019 so lots more time.
The Summer matches have begun. Ladies evenings have begun and so far had a good turnout. Looking to grow numbers this year so if you are free on a Wednesday evening from 6pm it would be great if you could join us. Ladies of all playing standard are welcome. Ladies mornings are every Tuesday from 9am again all playing standard welcome. If there are any new members to the club who would like any more information on what is on offer please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org. Of if there are current members who might like to play some team tennis also please make contact.
We are planning to enter +65 in the Winter vets next year. This year we have entered 5 teams in the Herts Summer League, players have been allocated to the various teams and circulated via email. We have entered one team only in Herts Team tennis, in this format (Singles & Doubles) which sits in the top division. They won their first match. Two teams have been entered in Hot Rackets, ELTC 1 are in Div 2B and won their first match. ELTC 2 are in Div 5A and are yet to play.
Mixed Team Tennis
The East Herts Winter Mixed League has now finished. None of our 7 teams have earned promotion but 2 will likely be relegated.
The Datchworth Summer League started on Monday 22nd April and runs for 14 consecutive Monday evenings. This year, like last year, we have entered 3 teams in strong divisions (1, 3 and 4 – out of 9). The Mid Herts Mixed League (known as the mixed friendlies) starts up on 18th May, with 5 matches in the season.
This year we will be running a Junior Box League. The sign-up sheets have been put up on the Junior Board. Please do sign your juniors up for this.
Junior Night have now started, please can we ask you to volunteers to supervise the later sitting for the older Juniors from 6pm to 8pm if you wish your Juniors to attend this session.
Please look out for an A4 information leaflet which briefly outlines the age levels, ratings and opportunities for our Juniors at Elliswick. These are available in the clubhouse.
Social and Events
- Supper night – The first supper night was cancelled due to the floor being prepared in the clubhouse. The first supper will now take place on Thursday 23 May. Please put your name down on the list which will be put up next week. The evening will still go ahead if rain stops play.
- Bacon Rolls – Another couple of successful Saturday morning breakfasts were made available at the last couple of weekends to members. Anyone wishing to sell bacon rolls on Saturday mornings to raise money can contact Jeanette at jeanetterickerty@gmail.
- Bank Holiday Tournament – This year’s first tournament took place last Monday. Several people put their names down late so if you are interested in our next American Tournament on 6th May and the one on the 27th May, please sign up as soon as possible otherwise there is a chance it could be cancelled.
- Grand Opening – Saturday 11th May – Arrangements are well in hand. If you are planning on joining us please try to walk or cycle if possible as the car park will be closed for exclusive use by our dignitaries from 11.30am onwards. Members are invited to join us at 11.30 am. The Town Mayor arrives at 11.45. Club President welcome speech at 12 noon. Club Chairman speech at 12.10. Club President to invite Town Mayor to unveil the plaque at 12.20. Finger buffet and drinks at 12.30.
- Wimbledon draw – This will take place after the Grand Opening on Saturday 11th May at 2pm prompt.
- Ladies Prosecco night – Wednesday 15th May – Ladies night is open to all ladies of all abilities. As well as playing tennis, there will be Prosecco, soft drinks and nibbles. Please feel free to come along, even if you don’t intend to play, and meet our lady members for a fun social evening
- Wine tasting evening – Saturday 8th June. £15 per person to be paid by 25th The evening will start promptly at 7pm. Sparkling wine to start, 2 different white wines and 2 different red wines with accompanying food. Please put your name down on the list posted on the notice board if you would like to come.
- Dinner dance – Saturday 20 July at Harpenden Common Golf Club. Welcome drink and 3-course meal (there will be a vegetarian option). There will be 2 fun casino tables, roulette and blackjack with Monopoly money. Dancing to the band The Carnegie’s. £20 per person non-returnable deposit will need to be paid by the end of May.
If you are interested in attending any of the above, please email email@example.com.
Elliswick LTC Committee
PS, Don’t forget to keep up to date with events at our website http://www.elliswickltc.co.uk