Elliswick LTC Newsletter – January 2019
Welcome to our January Newsletter. Firstly, apologies for the length of this month newsletter. As it is the first one of the year, we have many fantastic news items to share with you. This month has been a great beginning of the year at Elliswick LTC. Despite the cold, wet and snowy weather, the courts have been very busy each day with our active members keeping themselves fit and healthy, having fun and enjoying their tennis. It is great to see that the winter hasn’t dampened their spirits. With Eric Rovick as a new Chairman and Louise Behan as our new Tournament Secretary, we are looking forward to a great year ahead. If you wish to read the minutes of the Board/Committee meeting, they are available in the yellow folder in the clubhouse. Your views would be gratefully received.
Clubhouse and Grounds
The clubhouse extension is on schedule for the end of March, weather permitting. The roof tiling is the next task, then the emphasis will switch to the internal work, knocking down some of the existing walls and extending the bar area.
We would like to thank members for the patience they have shown with the inconveniences caused by the works, the builders have tried to minimise them as much as they can.
We will be replacing the carpet for the entire clubhouse once the work is complete.
We are still trying to get engineers from Abacus to fix the broken floodlight mast, as it is an issue with the mechanical workings they need to find a specialist.
There was a break-in last Saturday night/Sunday morning just after midnight, a single person broke through the clubhouse and bar doors, but otherwise nothing seems to be missing or damaged. The alarm was triggered, the intruder was only in the building for 3 minutes. We are considering puchasing security cameras to see if that would be worthwhile. You will have seen from the Secretary’s email that we are changing the outer door code to 6102 from Saturday 2nd February 2pm. Please make a note of the new code.
If anyone would like to play in a team and/or to be considered as a team captain for any of our teams, please do not hesitate to register your interest by contacting Simon Lowe at firstname.lastname@example.org for Men, Victoria Aitchison at email@example.com for Ladies or Eric Rovick at firstname.lastname@example.org for mixed teams.
At the AGM, a number of points were raised regarding the ethos of our club’s team tennis. More specifically, the balance between participative and competitive teams is up for discussion, as well as issues such as team squad selection. As any changes resulting from this consideration could be substantial, we would first like to gather as much feedback from interested club members as possible. In first instance, we would like any members with views on this subject to email the team captains (email addresses above) with their views or, alternatively, speak to one or more of the team captains in person.
Both the 60A and 60B teams are at the top of the table. The B’s played all their matches by November to escape the cold and bad weather. The A’s have now played all their matches and won it, so both top of the table and up for promotion. The 50A’s are top of the table and the B’s are mid table. 40A’s are mid table with the B’s 2nd in table. With both the 50’s and 40’s there are still a number of matches to play at this stage.
The Ladies morning Christmas lunch was well attended and raised £50 for the Harpenden Trust.
Also, this is to remind you that if you have entered the Ladder, please start playing your matches (once the snow has gone!).
Lynn Frankling will be organising these matches again this Summer. If any improving players would like to start playing matches, this would be ideal for you. Please contact Lynn at email@example.com.
Our Men’s Team Captain is now at the point of inviting all those interested in taking part in a Men’s Singles ladder to register. Learning from last year’s league-based competition, the most suitable format for this is best of 13 games with a 10 point tie break if the score reaches 6-6.
Anyone wanting to participate should contact Simon Lowe via firstname.lastname@example.org when he will explain the competition in more detail.
Mixed Team Tennis
The East Herts Winter Mixed season is well underway, with 7 teams competing for ELTC. We are now looking forward to the Summer Datchworth season. Last year we entered 3 teams and we will enter the same number of teams this year.
Also, the Mid Herts Mixed League (historically called the mixed friendlies) starts up in late April or early May. Historically we have used a mix of senior and improving players in this league, for many it is an introduction to competitive tennis. If you wish to play in these friendly matches, please do not hesitate to contact Andree Haxton at email@example.com.
Please make notes of the following events in your social calendar for 2019
Cake selling on Saturday 9th at 9.30am by Archie and Alex in aid of St George’s chapel repairs
Bacon rolls to be sold on Saturday mornings. Open to children raising funds. If you wish to do this, please contact Jeanette Rickerty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Easter Bank Holiday Tournament Monday 22nd. If you wish to participate in this friendly and fun competition please contact Michael and Hilary Harrison at email@example.com, who will organise all the tournaments. Tea/coffee and afternoon tea will be served afterwards.
- Grand opening of the new clubhouse is to be arranged, with dignitaries. Canapés/buffet and bubbly will be served. We will also organise Easter egg hunt for children and a few fun games and/or mix-in tennis
- Club nights begin:
Men’s night Tuesdays – 2nd April
Ladies night Wednesdays – 3rd April
Mix-in Evenings Thursday’s – 4th April
Junior Evenings Friday – 5th April
- Club in-house tournament to begins
- Suppers – Beginning of suppers on a Thursday evening after mix-in at 8pm through to September. £6/7 per head for a 2-course home-cooked meal.
- Bridge Evenings – Tuesdays prompt 7.30 start, bar open at 7pm. Enquires to Chris Rice at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pilates – Wednesday and Thursdays lunchtimes. Open to members and non-members, please contact Di Jesse at email@example.com for more information.
- Wimbledon draw on Saturday 11th May at 2pm. Pimms and fruit cocktails available at the bar, weather permitting. Please opt-in online by 22 Feb (https://www.lta.org.uk/major-tennis-events/grand-slams/wimbledon/ballots/btm-ballots-home/), even if you are not interested in going into the draw, as it would increase our club’s overall ticket allocation.
- Ladies Wednesday club night prosecco evening, date tba.
- Bank holiday tournament 6th and 27th.
- Wine tasting evening arranged by Alison and Barry Austin on Saturday 8th June
- Finals day Saturday 29th (Sunday 30th reserve date)
Bank holiday tournament Monday 26th.
- Last supper evening
- Macmillan coffee morning, Friday 20/27 with homemade cakes
- Junior finals day September 15th (22nd reserve date)
Quiz night Saturday 19th with quiz master Carole
- Comedy night, date tba
- AGM – Saturday 23rd November 2019
The date for the Junior Tournament is Sunday 15th September with reserve date of Sunday 22nd September.
Our Junior Secretary, Deborah Temple will liaise entry to competition games with the Junior Captains of each age group, in conjunction with Ben Wood who allocates the teams. We are currently looking at options for a Junior Ladder for in-house games and competitions and will send you more information in due course.
The Friday Junior Nights will recommence on the 5th April and Deborah is looking for volunteers for the Rota. Please email Deborah firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to help with the 6-8pm shift. Thank you.
Elliswick LTC Committee
PS, Don’t forget to keep up to date with events at our website http://www.elliswickltc.co.uk