ELTC COVID-19 UPDATE – 27/03/21
The time has finally arrived! We will reopen the club for play this Monday the 29th, as previously indicated. Promisingly, the weather forecast for our return to play is for warm sunny weather.
Late yesterday the LTA published their updated guidelines for tennis players, venues, and coaches. We urge you all to be familiar with these guidelines as they set out the rules for our return to play. Please do not attend the club without having familiarized yourself with the contents of the two documents entitled “LTA guidance for tennis players” and “Summary Grid – Tennis Activity by Tier”. See links below:
These LTA guidance documents are very comprehensive and detail all of the rules for return to play for each step of the Government’s roadmap. Effectively, on Monday we are returning to a similar situation as prior to the last lockdown. Here are some of the key points for Step 1:
- Anyone attending a venue (including players, coaches, staff and any other visitors), should, before leaving home, undergo a pre-attendance self-assessment for any COVID19 symptoms using the information on the NHS website.
- If someone who has played at our Club tests positive for COVID-19, they should follow the Government’s ‘test and trace’ guidelines, which can be read on the Gov.uk website, and, additionally, email [email protected]to inform the Club so that appropriate cleaning and other measures can be put in place.
- Social distancing of 2 meters remains in place regarding those not in one’s household or support bubble. Socializing is not permitted except when adhering to the Rule of 6 (or 2 households totalling more than 6).
- Avoid congregating on or around the court before and after playing to allow access for others.
- Ensure you leave the court beforethe end of your allotted time so that it is empty for the next players.
- Both singles and doubles play are permitted.
- Tennis balls may be shared on a given court but players should avoid using their hands to pick up balls from other courts (use a racquet or foot to return them).
- Coaching is permitted, with some limitations.
- Spectating is not permitted (until at least 12th April-tbc) but parent/guardian supervision is permitted, with limitations.
- The clubhouse remains closed, except for access to the toilets or the floodlight switch. The toilet rooms should not be used as changing rooms.
- Inter-club matches are permitted for adults and juniors, but care must be taken to follow all of the rules, including travel.
Please be aware that the rules are expected to be gradually relaxed for the future steps 2, 3 and 4. However, you must read the updated guidance issued prior to each step as many things, including dates, are yet to be confirmed.
Our club has in the past held well-organised social/mix-in sessions for adults and intermediates on certain mornings and evenings. Though we cannot yet hold these in the same way as in the past, we will be reserving the following times for specific fixed-fours sessions (one playing session only per person per day):
- Ladies morningson Tuesdays from 9am-10:30am – Starting Tuesday 30th March – Please register your interest by emailing Andree Haxton at [email protected]
- Thursday mornings(all welcome) from 9am-10:30 am and 10:30am-12pm – Starting Thursday 1st April – Please register your interest by emailing Andree Haxton at [email protected]
- Ladies Nights on Wednesday evenings – Starting Wednesday 31st March – Our Ladies Captain, Victoria Aitchison is organising Ladies Nights on Wednesdays from 6pm to 8pm. If you wish to join in, please contact Victoria at[email protected]
- Club Nights(all welcome) on Thursday evenings from 6pm onwards – starting Thursday 1st April – The Thursday night format prioritises mixed doubles. This will be organised by Ben Wood, our Head Coach, and it will be on a first-come first-served basis. Ben will ensure that players of like ability are matched together for enjoyable games. If you would like to be part of this please email Ben at [email protected]with your mobile number, so that Ben can organise a WhatsApp Chat Group.
Tuesday evenings have traditionally been Mens Night. We will hold Mens Night fixed fours should a volunteer organiser step forward.