11 Results for author: elliswickltc


2         THE COMPANIES ACT 2006 ___________________________________________ PRIVATE COMPANY LIMITED BY GUARANTEE ___________________________________________         ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION     of     ELLISWICK LAWN TENNIS CLUB LIMITED         ... More

New membership suspended

Due to the overwhelming success of our recent Club Open day we have regrettably been obliged to close the club to any further new members. This suspension is likely to remain in place until September 2017. Unfortunately the committee have reviewed the membership numbers and will not be able to open membership until 2018. Prospective new members may ... More

Our club has been incorporated

I am delighted to inform you that after a protracted process we have finally incorporated our club.  Henceforth our 'club' will be a company limited by guarantee and be known as Elliswick Lawn Tennis Club Limited.  This change was approved by the members at the last AGM. This is a significant legal change that will protect each ... More

Floodlights At Long Last

After an epic battle with the planning authorities spanning 20 years the big “switch on” finally took place for two courts on 29th September 2011. More

Mayor Opens New Clubhouse

While the courts were regularly being improved the old timber clubhouse began to deteriorate rapidly. In 1993 the members accepted the committee’s proposals to completely rebuild the clubhouse, which was officially opened by the Mayor of Harpenden in March 1995. More

The End of Lawn Courts

In the 80s the club was having major problems maintaining the four grass courts. Faced with considerable resistance, the brave decision was made to convert them to the “Astroturf” which we are still playing on today. The decision has never been regretted. More

Flushing Toilets!

The pavilion was extended by the addition of changing rooms, which included, for the first time, flushing toilets and mains drainage. This pavilion lasted until it was demolished to make way for the construction of the current clubhouse. More

Property Acquired

In 1956 Jarvis had offered to sell the ground to the club for £4000. Initially members believed this was simply beyond their reach but by 1958, thanks to a grant from the government, the club succeeded in buying the property. More

The First Clubhouse and More Courts

In an important period of development the number of courts was increased by two to five and a small timber pavilion, partly built by members, was erected although without electricity or toilets. More

The 2nd World War

Tennis was suspended and no club championships were played for 9 years. After the war membership began to grow and reached 100 as juniors were admitted for the first time. More