Elliswick LTC Newsletter – August 2019
Welcome to our August Newsletter. We hope that you all are having a nice summer and are still enjoying what is left of it.
Clubhouse and Grounds
- The acoustic doors are to be operated only by Eric, Dave Watkinson, Nefyn and the Coaching team. Please ask one of them if you need to open or close the doors.
- We have instigated a maintenance agreement with Abacus for the floodlights.
- Portable appliance checks have been carried out on all the electric appliances in the clubhouse and sheds.
Herts summer league and Hot Rackets matches are now entering their final month with the teams in a variety of positions. Player availability has certainly hampered the 1st & 2nd teams so please can we encourage players to make themselves available where possible so that we can field full teams for the remaining fixtures.
Herts League (3 pair format):
- 1st team sit 4th out of 8 teams in Division 1B with 2 wins from 4 matches so far. One more win from the remaining three matches should consolidate their position.
- 2nd team sit 6th out of 7 teams in Division 1A with 1 win from 4 matches. At least one victory is required from their remaining 2 fixtures to offer a chance of safety.
- 3rd team sit 5th out of 7 teams in Division 3B with 2 wins from 5 matches. Their final match on the 29th September vs Barnet looks like a winner stays up scenario so best of luck in that one!
- 4th team sit 3rd out of 7 teams in Division 3A with 2 wins from 3 matches. Dare we mention the P word?? Two home fixtures in their last 3 matches offers a slight advantage so fingers crossed…
- 5th team sit 6th out of 7 teams in Division 4B with 2 wins from 6 matches with relegation likely. Unlucky fellas…
Hot Rackets (2 pair format):
- 1st team currently sit 1st out of 8 teams in Division 2B with 4 wins from 5 so promotion a distinct possibility.
- 2nd team currently sit 4th out of 6 teams in Division 5A with 1 win from 3 with two matches left to play.
Autumn Vets Tennis
With the summer season drawing to a close we move into the 2 pair vets format. We have three +45 teams, two +55 teams and for the 1st time a +65 team.
+45A – Mark Behan
+45B – Tony Ward
+45C – Ken Michie
+55A – Nigel Croft
+55B – Ben Dearman
+65 – Ant Harrison.
Anyone interested in representing the club should initially contact Simon at firstname.lastname@example.org
and he will forward details to the appropriate captain.
Herts League: Elliswick 1 is top of the table with a match to play. Well done ladies! Elliswick 2 is mid table with 2 matches to play.
- Elliswick 1 is sitting 6th out of 7 teams with one match to play.
- Elliswick 2 is sitting 3rd and all matches complete. Well done ladies.
- Elliswick 3 is sitting 2nd with one match to play.
- Elliswick 4 is also sitting 2nd with all matches complete.
In this league the top 2 teams in each division get promoted so teams 3 and 4 will play in a higher division next year.
All ladies are welcome to Ladies morning on Tuesday’s and Ladies nights on Wednesday’s are still taking place.
Winter Vets Teams – if there are any new members or existing players who would like to be considered for match play please let me know at email@example.com.
The Autumn Datchworth league kicks off in a week’s time. We have entered 3 teams again this year.
If there are any new members or existing players who would like to be considered for mixed match play please let Eric Rovick know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately we had to cancel our last Bank Holiday Tournament on the 26th October due to lack of numbers. Next year, we will try to do the tournament in a morning session (with lunch following) rather than an afternoon.
This coming month there are the following events:
Junior Tournament – Sunday 15th September (Reserve date Sunday 22nd September)
- In the morning we will have tea/coffee and biscuits
- At 10.30 there will be sausages in rolls available at £1 each (mainly for the children)
- At 12.30 there will be a bbq of chicken and burgers with salad and bread to purchase
- Tea and cakes will be available in the afternoon at a small cost
- There will be a small selection of sweets and lollies during the afternoon so children don’t forget to bring your pocket money
Please come along and support our junior members, have something to eat and drink and enjoy the fun day with, if last year is anything to go by, some wonderful tennis to watch. The bar will be open from about 11.30
Supper night – Thursday 19th September at 8 pm.
The menu will be:
- Bbq chicken thighs (choice of jerk or garlic and herb)
- South African sausage
- New potatoes
- Garlic bread
- South African milk tart
Don’t forget to sign up by putting your name down on the list which will be on the notice board next week. The cost will be £6 per person and the event will go ahead even if the mix-in is cancelled due to bad weather. Please note that you are always welcome to join us for supper even if you are not playing tennis.
Macmillan coffee morning – Friday 20th September
We are holding our annual charity coffee morning from 10am-12 noon. If you would like to bake a cake please let Jeanette know at email@example.com. Any cakes leftover will be available to purchase on Saturday morning
Dates for your diaries:
Saturday 19th October Elliswicks Annual Quiz (tables of 6)
Saturday 16th November Comedy Night
Saturday 23rd November AGM
The tournament will take place on Sunday 15th September. The sign up is now closed and we will be in touch with players soon.
Spectators are very welcome and encouraged. We will have a BBQ inc hot dogs, chicken, burgers etc and afternoon tea and the bar will be open. It was a great event last year.
We so far have not received any offers of help with scoring during the tournament. If you could kindly get in touch with Deborah as the event cannot take place without assistance. Many thanks.
Junior Night starts up again the beginning of September for a few weeks.
Autumn term coaching:
Starts week beginning 2nd September, there are still a few places left available on some courses. Junior courses are open to members and non-members and anyone can join a group after it has started. For full information on days, prices and availability please visit the club’s website www.elliswickltc.co.uk/coursebooking/ or for anything else please email Ben at: firstname.lastname@example.org
All courses start week beginning 2nd September
Tennis Express – Adult beginner/ returners 8-week block
- Monday 10.30-12
- Thursday 1-2.30
- Thursday 7.30-8.30 * starts October
- Thursday 8.30-9.30 (full)
- Friday 11-12.30 (full)
- Friday 12.30-2 (full)
Pay and Play
- Monday 12-1pm Cardio Tennis
- Monday 1-2.30pm Intermediate coaching
- Tuesday 11-12pm Beginner coaching
- Wednesday 10.30-12 Intermediate coaching
Please contact our Head Coach, Ben Wood (M) 07817 203230 or (W) www.elliswickltc.co.uk
Jumbulance Cycle Ireland – Charity Appeal
Just to remind you that our long-standing members Gillian and Neil Berry would like to ask for your support for a special cause. Gillian is chair of The Jumbulance Trust which is a Harpenden-based charity providing accessible travel opportunities both in the UK and abroad for the seriously sick and disabled members of our society. Jumbulances are specially modified coaches which can provide ambulance standard care for the travellers whilst they are away on their trips – sometimes this is the only way they can experience a day trip or holiday that we may take for granted.
To support this great cause Neil has volunteered to squeeze into lycra and take on the cycling challenge from Mizen Head on the southern tip of Ireland to Malin Head on the far northern coast – 427 miles in whatever weather Ireland can promise in early October. We would really appreciate your support in encouraging Neil to keep pedalling and reach his charity appeal target. You can donate on Neil’s JustGiving page:
Elliswick LTC Committee
PS, Don’t forget to keep up to date with events at our website http://www.elliswickltc.co.uk