Elliswick LTC Newsletter – April 2021
Welcome to our April Newsletter.
We hope that this newsletter finds you and your families safe and well. It has been great to see so many members enjoying themselves playing tennis since our courts reopened on the 29th of March. We are hoping to reopen our clubhouse before too long, but perhaps not until the 21st of June. We apologise for the length of this newsletter, but we have some exciting news share with you:
BRINGING A GUEST
Guests will now be allowed, but only during off-peak times. Members introducing a guest to play tennis must enter the name and address of the guest together with their own name in the book kept just inside the clubhouse entrance [this is especially important for Test and Trace purposes]. At the same time, the required visitor’s fee must be paid. No one may be admitted as a guest to play tennis on more than three occasions in any calendar year. The total number of guests permitted per Member per annum shall be four.
ANNUAL TOURNAMENT- FINALS DAY 2nd OCTOBER 2021
The 2021 Club Tournament will be taking place this year with finals day being held on 2nd October with a back-up day on 3rd October in case of poor weather.
Details as follows:
Tournament is open for members to sign up – 29 May 2021
Closing date for entry – 26 June 2021
Publish Draw – 2 July 2021
Tournament start date – 3 July 2021
End date for all matches to be played by – 26 September 2021
Finals Day Order of play announced – 29 September 2021
Finals Day – 2 October 2021 with back up day 3 October
JUNIOR TOURNAMENT – 19th SEPTEMBER 2021
The Junior Tournament will be taking place on 19th September 2021. A notice will be put up on the Junior noticeboard for entries.
BANK HOLIDAY TOURNAMENT – 31st MAY 2021
We are pleased to announce that we will be holding our first Bank Holiday Tournament on Monday the 31st of May 2021. More details of which are attached to this newsletter. If you would like to enter this tournament, please let Jem Collier-Garrity know by emailing him at [email protected].
For the time being, only pre-organised social/mix-in sessions are allowed. We are hoping that we will be able to resume some of this on/after the 17th of May when the Rule of 6 changes to the Rule of 30.
Details of our social tennis as follows:
- Saturday and Sunday morningsfrom 10:00am-12:00pm. The traditional mix-ins will resume as of the 22nd of May.
- Ladies morningson Tuesdays from 9am-10:30am – Please register your interest by emailing Andree Haxton at [email protected]
- Thursday mornings(all welcome) from 9am-10:30 am and 10:30am-12pm – Please register your interest by emailing Andree Haxton at [email protected]
- Ladies Nights on Wednesday evenings – Our Ladies Captain, Victoria Aitchison is organising Ladies Nights fixed fours on Wednesdays from 6pm to 8pm. If you wish to join in, please contact Victoria at [email protected]
- Club Nights(all welcome) on Thursday evenings from 6pm onwards – The Thursday nights format prioritises mixed doubles. This will be organised by Ben Wood, our Head Coach, and it will be on a first-come first-served basis. Ben will ensure that players of like ability are matched together for enjoyable games. If you would like to be part of this please email Ben at [email protected] with your mobile number, so that Ben can organise a WhatsApp Chat Group.
- Mens Nights on Tuesday Nights are currently being organised by Dugie Carlean. Please email Dugie at [email protected]with your mobile number if you’d like take part.
Membership is now full, and we have a waiting list of 294.
We are holding a New Members’ Day on Sunday, May 23rd, to which all new members from this year AND last year have been invited. If you have missed the email but wish to come, please get in touch – we still have space, but you do need to book.
We do hope all new members are getting plenty of opportunities to play. Again, please let us know if you require details of Whatsapp groups/ suggestions of suitable groups for you to play in.
Assuming that restrictions are lifted on 17th May and 21st June as per the Government roadmap, please see below the proposed events:
- New Members Day – An introduction to our new members (2020 & 2021) to the club. We will arrange a couple of games on court – Sunday 23rd May from 2pm to 5pm. Our Chairman, Head Coach and Administrator will explain the rules of our club, tennis WhatsApp groups (set up during lockdown), suitable tennis sessions/lessons and answer any questions you may have.
- Members Open Day 3 July – To thank our members for your patience and support during Covid-19 restrictions, we will be holding a fun day for members and their family with round robin tennis games, food, drink and entertainment.
- Bank Holiday Tournaments – May 31st and August 30th
- Jazz Evening – Date tbc
- Wine tasting evening – July 17th
- An evening of magic and music, ragtime songs. A ‘something for everyone’ variety night with our most talented member, Tim Sutton – Date tbc
- Junior Tournament – 19th September. Reserve date 26th September
- Macmillan coffee morning – Friday September 24th
- Finals day – 2 October 2021 with a back-up day on 3 October 2021
- Quiz Night – October 23rd
- AGM – Saturday November 20th
- Comedy Night – November 27th
Please put the above dates in your diaries as our social events are very popular and watch out for specific emails for each event.
GROUNDS & CLUBHOUSE
The Floodlight engineers visited and established that there is a broken cable inside the floodlight on court 6, In order to enable it to be used for the time being it has been left in the ‘up’ position while a new cable is procured. We also have issues with blown bulbs on the mast on court 5, we have two portable LED lights which will help in the short term, though their use is restricted to coaching at present.
A planning application is now with the Council to address the replacement of the existing telescopic lights with fixed mast LED lights on courts 5 and 6. If we obtain planning consent then any further expenditure beyond planning will be voted on at the AGM. We have sent a letter to our neighbours explaining what the reasons are for replacing the current lights.